By Sue Perbody
Admitting that you need help is a scary thing. No one likes confessing that they aren’t ok and that they need to talk to someone. It’s hard and it’s terrifying, I know this all too well. However, taking charge of your mental health is one of the most important and crucial things that you can do for yourself. But you may be asking “how do I know when I should seek help?” Sometimes you just know, but Psych Today also provides a nice list of some warning signs that you should see someone immediately.
1. Feeling sad, angry or not yourself. It’s normal to be sad sometimes. But if you are feeling uncontrollable sadness or anger that seemingly have no causes, this could be a sign of an issue. Withdrawing from people is not healthy.
2. Abusing substances, food or sex. When you are dealing with mental health issues like depression, it is common to seek external substances in an effort to make yourself feel better. If you find that this applies to you, seek help right away.
3. You’ve lost someone or something important to you. Grief is a hard emotion to process and overcome. Losing a loved one or something that matters to you can cause loads of grief. It can be helpful to talk to someone during times like these.
4. Something traumatic has occured. Everyone experiences trauma differently, and no two traumas are the same. Something that seems smaller to someone else may seem bigger to you, and that is normal. The earlier you get help for trauma the better.
5. Things you once enjoyed no longer bring you happiness. Often times with problems like depression, you don’t find joy in the things that you did before. This is a red flag that something is going on.
WNY Medical’s Psychiatric staff are there to help you in this difficult time. Allow us to help you get back to the person you once were! Call 716-839-0500 ext. 3801 to make an appointment today!